It’s back-to-school time for the youngsters in Ontario. While this may be a joyous occasion for some, this can cause the blues for others. Back to school marks the time when the seasons are changing from sunny afternoons to foggy and cold mornings. For university students, this is a time to meet up with friends again or start a new chapter, while for kids it’s time to give up the lazy summer afternoons. Parents can go both ways, either sad about sending their child off to university or happy finally getting some quiet time at home. Whichever it is, there are a few tricks to get ready for going back to school and the autumn season.
- Celebrate the end of summer with a big event. Whether that’s a party or a vacation, do something fun to make you feel like you accomplished something.
- Plan day trips for the first couple of weekends. This could be a short Sunday drive for a picnic or an adventure to someplace new. The fall is still a beautiful time of year.
- Buy some fresh outfits. Nothing says getting in the mood for autumn like shopping for appropriate clothing that makes you look your best, whether you’re a student or a parent.
- Organize your living space. Doesn’t matter if you live in a dorm, apartment, or house, spaces can get cluttered. Think of it like spring cleaning, but autumn organizing.
- Make a playlist that uplifts you. Put together songs that you really enjoy into a playlist to listen to when you’re feeling sluggish. It’s great to listen to songs on your ride home from class or work.
- Stock up on cold medicine. There’s nothing more annoying than catching a cold just when you’re getting in the groove of your new schedule. Use preventative care to keep you from catching a cold while having some medicine in stock just in case you wake up with oozing orifices.
- Set goals. Create some goals for yourself so you have something to work towards while you adjust to the new schedule.
- Accept you’ll get exhausted. With such a drastic change to your schedule, you will get tired. Don’t be afraid to give yourself a break here and there.
Autumn is a beautiful time of year but for some, it is the start of seasonal depression. Reach out to your friends and invite them on your adventures for this time of year. You never know who needs a smile.