Tips for Severe ThunderstormsJul 12nd, 2019
As of yesterday, a severe thunderstorm warning has been issued for parts of Renfrew county. This storm is predicted to bring heavy rain, strong winds, nickel sized hail, and even possibly tornadoes. Here are some quick tips to help keep you safe in case of threatening weather happening in your area.
1. If lightning is predicted in the area, postpone your trip plans until it blows over.
2. Remember, “When Thunder Roars, Go Indoors!”
3. If you find yourself outside with no shelter in the immediate area, get in your car and wait out the storm.
4. The 30-30 rule: When you see lightning, count to 30 and if thunder rumbles before you hit 30, go indoors. Refrain from interacting with electrical and conductive devices for 30 mins at least until you hear the last clap of thunder. This includes anything with a cord or plumbing.
5. If you can’t find shelter, crouch low with as little as your body touching the ground. This makes you less of a target. Lethal currents can travel on the surface of the ground for over 30 metres!
6. Refrain from touching concrete walls or floors, electricity can travel through the metal bars and mesh embedded in the concrete. Move to a structure that isn’t made of concrete and stay away from the windows however being indoors doesn’t automatically make you safe from lightning, one third of lightning strikes happen indoors.
Stay safe everyone!